Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Hectic

Every semester has that few weeks where it seems like everything is happening at once. For me, for this semester, that time is now. Partly this is because finals are just around the corner. Partly this is because Thanksgiving break is next week. Partly this is because my second conference in three weeks has me on the go again, and those vacations make me feel as though the normal routine is overly busy.

But mostly this is because every semester just has that period, and now is that time. I traditionally have been able to keep low stress levels, so in times like this things usually get a little weird for me. I’ve noticed this week, with the busy period beginning, that I’ve been eating a little more than the last few weeks, so that’s something I need to control. However, I’ve decided to try a new approach this year (like always; maybe I should keep track of which ones worked in the past and use them again). This year, the approach is that things that would normally stress me will not be allowed to stress me.

While I’ll be pleased if it does, somehow I think stress-less-ness by fiat might not work.

Although t took four months, the feeling I anticipated finally arrived. I finally had the feeling this week that spending time thinking about new friends here might be unfairly discrediting my old friends back home. I don’t want to use the word “betrayal”, but I did feel a little bad about it. Partly this was from generally thinking about talking to people up here and moving forward with life, but mostly it wasn’t. Mostly, this was from thinking about my upcoming trips home, Thanksgiving and Christmas, and thinking about how I may want to get back north a day early for Thanksgiving and possibly a week early for Christmas to spend time with new friends.

Nothing significant today, try again soon.

1 comment:

Meesh Daddy said...

My son as I am sure that you know by now, you have made Michele a very very happy person.

YOU HAVE FRIENDS !

Not that she was worried about you moving away or anything mind you. (wink)

Hang in there the stress will only get worse if you let it get to you or as in my case I don't take my pill.

Be thankful that at the current point in your life your pill is a placebo (a Chill Pill) whereas mine is medically prescribed.